To become a member please download and bring the following with you to your next rehearsal.
Welcome to the Dunedin Wind Band! We’re delighted that you have chosen to join us, and we hope that you enjoy playing and performing with the Band.
The Dunedin Wind Band was formed in May 2006 by our Conductor Sarah Naish and 11 players, with the idea of creating a relaxed, fun, friendly band for wind players of all ages and abilities. The ﬁrst rehearsal took place in September 2006, once arrangements and logistics had been organised. From small beginnings the Band has grown to approximately 50 playing members. The Band typically performs at least 2 concerts per year, at Christmas and in the summer. In addition, we hold several ‘Play Away Days’ each year, where we are able to spend a whole day working on new material, and reﬁning pieces.
As a Community Wind Band we have also supported several local charities with fundraising concerts. We have also performed at Christmas-time in the past for the residents of St. Columba’s Hospice and at Vue Cinema for the premiere of Star Wars.
The Band performs music to suit a wide range of tastes, ranging from ﬁlm and big band music to Scottish folk and original concert band music. As long as the music must is entertaining for the audience and fun (sometimes challenging!) for us to play!
Below is some information which we hope you will ﬁnd useful:
- Rehearsals: Monday, 7.30 – 9.30 pm, Old St Paul’s Church Hall, 63 Jeﬀrey Street, Edinburgh, EH1 1DH
- Band communications: These are normally sent by e-mail. Please let us know if this is not convenient. To enable us to keep in touch with you, please let the Treasurer know about any changes to your contact details.
- Instruments and other items: These are brought at their owner’s risk.
- All distributed sheet music: This remains the property of Dunedin Wind Band, and should be returned on request.
- Fees: Currently £40 per term (or the pro rata equivalent) are normally due at the start of each term, and the preferred method of payment is by bank transfer. Discounts available for students. Our Treasurer sends an email to all members at the start of each term to notify them of subscriptions due. This email includes bank transfer details, but we can send you a separate email if you have joined midway through the term (please ensure that your online payment shows your name and instrument).
- If you are intending to leave the Band: It would be helpful for planning and administrative purposes if members intending to leave Band, either on a temporary or permanent basis, notify either a Committee Member or the Director of Music.
- Assistance with the running of the Band: We are always grateful for members’ oﬀers, either by volunteering for Committee membership when vacancies arise, or by helping with speciﬁc jobs when needed, or by providing advice if you have knowledge or expertise in a particular area which you feel may be helpful.
- Cancellation of rehearsals: It is unusual for rehearsals or any other Band events to be cancelled. However, should this be necessary all Band Members will be notiﬁed by email, Facebook etc.
- Social media: Listen to our recordings on YouTube and like us on Facebook at facebook.com/DunedinWindBand
- The current Committee Members are: Kirsty Dingwall (Chair); Norman Weibye (Treasurer); Sheila Porteous (Secretary); Liz Brown (Events); Jemima Tio (Digital); Kate Main (Ordinary Member).
- Contacting the Band: The Band’s e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org or you can contact individual Committee Members if you prefer using: